Metro and Manchester Evening News apologize to Jewish community

The Manchester Evening News and Metro both apologized separately on Tuesday for posting coverage that drew complaints from the Jewish community.

The headline on page 12 of the MEN, in its global news section, read: “Palestinian shot dead after killing of holy place.

On Sunday, a Hamas gunman opened fire in the streets of Jerusalem’s Old City (pictured below), killing an Israeli and injuring several others. The gunman was shot dead by the police.

The MEN said in a declaration online: “In today’s MEN newspaper, we made international headlines following a deadly attack in Jerusalem.

“We recognize that the title did not reflect the story in a precise and balanced way. We apologize wholeheartedly for any inconvenience caused. “

The apology came after the Jewish Representative Council for Greater Manchester and the Region said it had written to MEN editor Darren Thwaites asking for an urgent meeting.

He said he was “appalled” by the headline, adding: “The framing of the headline and the article that followed does not recklessly reflect the tragic incident.”

Additionally, the Jewish Chronicle reported that Marie van der Zyl, chair of the Council of Deputies of British Jews, described the headline as “a very misleading reversal of what happened” and hoped for a significant correction.

“The incident in question saw a Hamas terrorist kill an Israeli civilian and wound four others, before being neutralized by the Israeli police,” she added.

Meanwhile, Metro editor Ted Young apologized for posting a letter claiming former Yorkshire cricketer Azeem Rafiq was not racist when he tweeted anti-Semitic because he belongs to a minority and the Jews are a “privileged majority”.

Telegraph columnist and former Theresa May advisor in Issue 10, Nick Timothy, said the comments were “stupid and bogus, but why is the Metro publishing someone who excuses racism without question?” “

David Baddiel, who wrote the book Jews Don’t Count, which examines why anti-Semitism is seen as a lesser form of racism, said it was “astonishing how uncontested these comments are.”

Young noted on Twitter: “The MetroTalk page is carefully edited with all kinds of views coming from all over the country…

“Our readers always challenge views that are clearly flawed in the direction of the debate. But in hindsight, it shouldn’t have made the page. Apologies. “

He also confirmed that an apology would be published in Wednesday’s newspaper.

“We get a lot of views from across the country every day and it should never have happened,” Young told Baddiel.

Rafiq told the Jewish News last week that he was “very sorry” for the comments, made when he was 19, and that he was “very angry with myself”.

Photo: Menahem Kahana / AFP via Getty Images

SUBSCRIBE HERE FOR

The must-see weekly Press Gazette newsletter featuring interviews, data, news and surveys.



Source link

Comments are closed.